I have met people that are more than happy to sacrifice themselves and their well being / time / sanity for others. In some respects, I applaud this. I think it is a fine quality of humanity for the one to selflessly put themselves on the line for the many, with or without knowing that their deed will come without personal reward. Acts such as that raise the potential for day to day morality for us all. I only hope that my attempts to reach out and help somebody will serve as an example for others. But I do not demand it.
Not so for the Eager Martyr. This poor soul is the epitome of greed and corruption, without the awesome benefits of greed and corruption. To me, the Eager Martyr is one who will put their well being on the line over and over again, but demands the appreciation of those around them for their act. Be they detainees that pray for execution, or a volunteer that reminds others of their sacrifice, I cannot appreciate their sacrifice. Theirs is not in actuallity a sacrifice, it is an investment. An investment in the awe of others.
Friday, December 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment