Friday, February 27, 2009

Lost In The Mail

So, I've had a collection agency come after me for the last few days because I closed my account with GameFly and they didn't receive both of the games I had out. Funny enough, that's exactly why I closed my account with them in the first place. I guess people just see a GameFly envelope and snag it.

Anyways, the first guy who called me was obviously trained to be as hostile as possible. Its an easy technique used to bully people that are already under stress and are unaware of their rights. It doesn't work on people that are either A) Educated B) Dodging Creditors. So, I told the guy to watch his tone or I would hang up on him and to explain exactly what the debt was. Once he told me it was the GameFly thing, I told him that I would look into it. Then I hung up on him.

I couldn't get in touch with GameFly, since their call center closes at 1PM Pacific. So, I decided to call back and chat with the collections folks. I got to talk to a supervisor, explained to him what happened, and that I would continue to reach out to GameFly, but that I wasn't going to pay. I then asked what the consequences were going to be. I think the guy was taken aback by the fact that I wasn't making excuses or threatening him, just talking to him like a professional. I also think he just wanted to deal with something else than a 60 dollar debt. Once he found out I was a process junkie that was very curious about his business model, he told me not to worry about it and that they wouldn't be escalating to the credit bureaus. I wouldn't let him get off the phone though. I couldn't! To actually have a collections flunkie wanting to get off the phone... it was too priceless. After another half hour, I eventually let him go.

I called GameFly this morning. They took the game off my account. I should call up my friend again and talk to him about the new next steps. Every. Single. Step.

No comments: