I've been reflecting on the various management styles that I have been fortunate to be under the thumb of over my brief career. When times are good (e.g. when there is budget) it is easy for managers to keep morale up. A few lunches here, a few long term projects there, and everybody feels secure in their job.
When times aren't so good, that's where the real test is. Again, I've seen a few different approaches here. I've been inspired by those that demand the best of themselves and expect the same from those under them. I've been led by those that articulate a clear vision. And I've been annoyed by those that remind their workers what the unemployment rate is, and that getting rid of dead wood (read: people) is common in rough times.
I would hope that exposure to these different techniques will make me better at managing people. I would also hope that I don't forget that there is a difference between being realistic and being callous. Between being inspiring and inspiring fear. Workers know when times are tough. We can look at the schedule just like everybody else.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment