Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Up And Running Again

Somebody asked me what I was doing in Sydney. I told them that I was doing the same thing as everybody else: Running away from one thing and running towards another. Seeing how this was in the middle of an orientation for new postgrad students in Built Environment, I think it was a bit deeper and pop psych than the asker intended. I got a few looks and some chuckles from the one-liner, and the asker was able to transition well, but looked a little uncomfortable.

I started wondering why the person was made so uncomfortable by a casual comment, and something that, while a bit pithy, isn't a bad thing in my mind. Maybe its because the asker looked upon their life differently. Not so much going from one place to another, but wandering aimlessly. Maybe they just got caught up in the thought "What am I running towards?"

Maybe it was the other side. The asker may not be comfortable with the idea that there is something in their life that they have run from, or that they want to run from.

I certainly would be uncomfortable with any of these realizations. Unless I was happy with my life. Who the hell am I to push my abstract sense of life on other people?

*Note: None of the above actually happened. Just feels good to shake the cobwebs off and run with an idea.

No comments: